WHAT’S MY AGE AGAIN?
Ever wonder how old your four-legged really friend is?
We all are aware that our beloved furry pal ages faster than we humans do, but by how much?
Well, the age-old calculation of 7 times their age is a little off.
There are several factors to consider when determining the correct age of your “baby”. Cats and dogs age differently, while most cats and small & medium breeds hit middle age at approximately 7 “human years” while large and giant breeds could be hit middle age as soon as 5 “human years’’.
HOW OLD IS MY PET REALLY?
|AGE||CATS||S/M DOGS||L/XL DOGS|
THE SIGNS OF AGINING (TAILS):
Age-related changes start small, just like with people, age can creep up slowly on pets.
Pet parents might not realise their furry friend is starting to display some age-related changes.
Have you noticed these signs?
- THINKING: - Your pet is now confused by ordinary things like how to find their bed or is barking for no reason.
- TEETH: - Bad breath, red swollen gums, difficulty chewing, changes in eating habits.
- ACTIVITY: - Naps have become more appealing than active play, running or jumping.
- ARTHRITIS: - Signs of discomfort, lameness or pain, difficulty rising from rest.
- INTERACTIONS: - Your pet doesn't socialise with you as much as before.
- IMPAIRED KIDNEYS: - Drinking more than usual, urinating more frequently, losing weight, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea & weakness.
- LOSS OF CONTROL: - Your pet is well trained but has started having accidents.
- LUNGS AND HEART: - Coughing, panting more often, short of breath & tires rapidly.
- SLEEP-WAKE CYCLE: - Sleeping patterns have changed with more awake time during the night.
- SKIN: - Dulling coat, lumps or bumps skin odour, excessive scratching licking or chewing, poor grooming.
FIGHTING THE EFFECTS OF AGEING:
We recommended moving your aging pets to a diet that is designed with age in mind, we stock all the best brands. Some of our favourites are the Hill's Science Plan Senior Vitality range of wet & dry foods, for more info visit them at
This diet was Created specifically for 7+ senior pets – and 5+ for large breed dogs – with the power of cutting-edge food science, this breakthrough nutrition is made with our proprietary recipe of natural ingredients including fruits and vegetables, added fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids – all working together to fight signs of ageing.
Hill's Science Plan Senior Vitality is available for mini, medium, and large breed dogs and in delicious stews that cats and dogs love!
Formulated with natural ingredients to help support:
- Energy and vitality
- Healthy digestive system
- Brain function
- Healthy immune system
- Luxurious coat
HANDY TIPS TO HELP YOUR SENIOR PET:
- The following senior-specific tips will repay the loyalty and companionship your pet has shown over the years:
- Help them reach their food better by raising their bowls off the floor.
- Give your pet the opportunity for regular exercise to help preserve muscle tone and to keep bones and joints strong. Remember, your senior pet is slowing down, so make sure the exercise is less strenuous – easy relaxed walks are great!
- Consider using a ramp to help them get into difficult areas, for example the car.
- Be on the lookout for new inventions such as paw gel pads or booties which help provide traction for unstable dogs or slippery floors.
- Because senior pets are often less active, inspect your pet’s nails on a regular basis and trim them when necessary.
- Don’t overlook your pet’s dental health. Have your pet’s teeth cleaned by your veterinarian when advised as bad teeth can have serious health consequences for older pets.
- Keep your pet’s bed in an easily accessible spot. Ensure it’s easy to climb onto, warm and comfortable
- Give your senior pet a massage! Great relaxation therapy for your pet...and you!
- Consider using holistic treatments to supplement your pet’s health such as acupuncture – a needling treatment method which uses your pet’s body’s own ability to heal itself.
- Don’t forget to give your pet plenty of love and attention – the keys to a healthier and more fulfilling life for your best friend!
We hope this post helps you better understand your pets needs as they age. For all you senior pet needs visit our store at www.thepetscirclesa.co.za , we offer free shipping on all order over R570 and deliver within 7 working days.